Friday, March 27, 2009

When Rubber Sole Is Right For You

No, I'm not talking about the Beatles album, Rubber Soul, I mean shoes.

As a white-collar working stiff, I'm required to dress professionally, which of course means the usual team player gear -- shirt, tie, slacks, occasional suit, and appropriate shoes. A lot of women have a whole closet full of them (the lovely Mrs. Nod is not among them), but most men only have a few pair: black, brown, or burgundy. So picking the right shoe the first time can be tricky.

In general, there are two types of men's dress shoe: the Bostonian and the Rockport. The Bostonian is a traditional formal style with leather soles, the Rockport is "dress shoe lite" -- looks like a dress shoe but has a black rubber sole. The advantage of the Rockport is simple -- they are way more comfortable.

Hey, I've had "bad feet" since childhood, but it didn't stop me from playing sports; they just hurt afterward. My brother recently abandoned a nearly new pair of Bostonians for reasons I can't remember; since they were in my size I took them. While traipsing around work, I managed to kick myself on the inner ankle with the hard heel of the Bostonians. Ow! Now I remember the other reason I wear rubber soled shoes!

How the heck did I manage to kick myself? Not really sure, to tell the truth. How close do most people's feet get when they are walking? Inquiring minds want to know -- ok they don't really, but let's just pretend. One source claims:
The normal foot-progression angle is +10 degrees, with a range from -3 to +20 degrees.
Me, I tend to walk with my feet fairly close together and on the outside edge, which is probably why I have terrible balance. My own observation is that the taller a person gets, the more angled out their feet seem to get. I've seen really tall people that walk practically duck-footed.

Looks funny, but at least they don't kick themselves. In the meantime, I'm reverting to my rubber soles.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails