Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lá Fhéile Pádraig (St. Patrick's Day)


Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Dear old Pádraig is Ireland's most famous import, being originally from the Brittish Isle.

The Irish themselves are their most famous export, largely due to the great potato famine.

What they exported along with the people were scores of Irish priests and religious. I don't know of a diocese in the U.S. that doesn't have an Irish priest -- sometimes directly from the Emerald Isle. The Irish have traditionally had great evangelistic fervor; I myself was taught by Irish nuns (technically "sisters", nuns are cloistered). Our lives would be poorer without them.

I love this statue of St. Patrick. It is labeled: Statue of St. Patrick at Hill of Tara, Ireland. Since "tara" means "hill", this is a little like saying La Brea Tar Pits since "La Brea" means "the tar pits".


My boss wore orange today instead of green, and for a minute I thought we had a Catholic / Protestant fight on our hands -- turns out she just forgot. Whew. Hoist a pint to celebrate!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails