Monday, December 14, 2009

Still Life WIth Cameraphone: Pink Mansion


I live in a modest neighborhood, but not far from my development someone has been building a mansion for the last several months. I've met people for whom wealth has not been a source of greed, but not many. With people in our own county going hungry, how can you justify building this obscene mansion for yourself to live in? Unless you're going to move a dozen handicapped children in with you, or something. This is just sinful in my estimation (and no, I don't know these people). Every time I pass by this place, it just makes me irritated.

That, and what doesn't come through due to my poor camera phone quality is that in real life this mansion has a very real pink hue to it. Pink houses? Pink mansions? If you have that kind of money to build this kind of house, WHY would you make it pink? I guess great taste doesn't follow big money.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Awe - Blynken would love it. It's pink.

If we give away 2-3 kids and stop sending them to Catholic school (i.e. save $$), we could maybe live in that lovely pink house.

Admit it. It's your dream house.

Anonymous said...

Who is going hungry in your county?
Also, I wonder: if I made them all peanut butter sandwiches, would they accept them?

--Shoe

Unknown said...

At Thanksgiving time, the school collected complete Thanksgiving dinner "kits" for the Vincent DePaul society. After Thanksgiving the society put a thank you in the bulletin that stated our parish & school community had helped feed over 200 families for Thanksgiving.

Someone must be hungry in our county or we wouldn't be feeding them.

Jeff Stevens said...

DUDE! Every time we drive by that house we're shocked it's NOT DONE YET. Seems like it's been under construction for YEAAAAAAAAAAARS. I know this is not the point of your post, but do you have any idea how long that thing's been in the works?

And yes, it's a monstrosity. But if you handed it to me on a silver platter, I'd still move in. :)

Polska said...

Yes, that house has been under construction for years, not months. What the photo also doesn't capture is the courtyard, fountain and other architectural wonders that put this house in the realm of mansion and not really, really big house.

I'm wondering though, since it has taken so long to complete, will it be more the Rockerfeller's Biltmore, which took six years to complete, or the builder trying to scrounge up and finish up and putting it up for sale as soon as it's complete because it's such an albatross around his neck now.

Polska said...

Oh, my grammar went all kablooey on that last post. If I didn't say what I really meant, please edit until clarity returns. Thanks.

Nod said...

You may be right Polska; it may well be a developer bought property that was acquired during the "boom".

A further complication is that a) the soil is very poor in that area, so it may not perk well, b) there are serious building and zoning restrictions there since it is part of the watershed, c) it sits directly off the main road.

Albatross indeed. Just you wait though, there are two other plots just like it on that road -- something similar will happen there eventually.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails