Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

No, I don't mean Christmas, I mean the time where we go through the kids' rooms like a whirling dervish and throw out stuff by the bucket load.

It's not like the kids are spoiled and get every little toy and trinket that their hearts desire, but when you have 5 Nodlings, even the mundane things start to add up to some serious volume.

With Blynken and Nod-girl, every day is Arts & Crafts, and every piece of paper is a Rembrandt. Blynken also exhibits a little separation anxiety with her "stuff". So it just collects and collects. We threw out two entire garbage bags full of just paper stuff. She was a little teary about the process, but I'm Mr. Freeze when I want to be, and Mrs. Nod is ruthless. I told Blynken to thank Jesus for helping her not be attached to material things.

And lest you think it was just the girls with the clutter, we took out three bags of trash from Wynken's room and a double heaping armfull of my own junk; the difference is that the girl stuff was all tiny pieces and plastics bits of detritus, while the boy stuff was larger junk. The toddlers, well, the toddlers just have junk that seems to sprout up everywhere.

Beads and glitter and sharp items are the bane of my existence; I took particular satisfaction in getting rid of that, especially after I stabbed myself in the palm with a previously undiscovered sewing needle. The Nodlings were pleasantly surprised after we unearthed missing toys and parts to beloved stuff.

My garage and trash cans are now overflowing with trash bags full of things we've purged from the house this weekend. We'll just have to hang on until Tuesday trash pickup; it may get crowded in that corner of the garage.

Now if only Christmas toys weren't coming ...

1 comment:

RAnn said...

Thanks for the reminder of a chore that needs to be done; one that is best done IME when the kids aren't home to protest.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails