Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Where's The Beef?

Sometime this month I will be taking possession of half a cow -- roughly 250-300 pounds of meat.

This of course means that I have to go out and get that deep freezer to hold it all. This meat represents a year's worth of beef for my family. It's farm raised with a minimum of drugs, etc. so this will be "organic" -- but without the label.

This will cost on average $4.00 a pound. That's slaughtered, butchered, flash frozen, and cryo-packed. You get to pick it up yourself with a really big pickup truck. Now $4.00 a pound is kind of expensive for hamburger (avg. $2.80/lb.) but insanely cheap for T-bone, filet mignon, ribeye, or New York strip (avg. $18 - $25/lb.). Of course we'll throw in all the choice roast cuts, top round, short ribs, flank steak (fajitas!), shish kebab, stew meat, and the like.

The hardest part was figuring out what cuts I wanted. I found this video instructive.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails