Thursday, October 7, 2010

24:15 Word Up



St. Jerome says that "ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ", and he would know since he translated the Bible into Latin (the Vulgate) in the 4th century. All my kids know about the Bible they either heard in Church, Catholic school, or from us as parents. Throughout the ages Catholics have been used to having the best: Eucharist, sacraments, theology, cathedrals, liturgy, saints, art, music, exegesis, and so on. But somewhere along the line, especially in Western culture, we lost the importance of knowing the Living Word of God.
The Word of God is "living and effective, sharper than any two-edged sword" (Heb 4:2). When is the last time you read something from the Bible and felt a burning passion inside? Can you say with Jeremiah,
"When I found your words, I devoured them; they became my joy and the happiness of my heart, Because I bore your name, O LORD, God of hosts."
? Or in the midst of great anguish, turn to the Psalms of David and cry out to your Father,
"But you, LORD, do not stay far off; my strength, come quickly to help me.
Deliver me from the sword, my forlorn life from the teeth of the dog."
What could be more natural than to use the words of Scripture to address the God who gave them to us?


Continue reading at Catholic Dads Online >>>

Subscribe to As For Me And My House (Jos 24:15), Thursdays at Catholic Dads Online!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails