Tuesday, June 15, 2010

7 Flaws To Avoid In Building A Gate

Bob Villa I'm not. I can swing a hammer and work a drill and not a whole lot else. But I do observe well when I need to. I've been around long enough to know a sub-standard job when I see one.

We recently had a contractor fix our yard gate to keep in the Nodlings (Nub in particular). I was not pleased with the results. We did get them to come back and fix it properly, for which they apologized, but it was aggravating in the interim.

So here's a picture of said gate and a list of 7 Flaws to Avoid When Building a Gate. See how many you can spot (click for larger image).

1. Mix of old and new wood makes structural integrity suspect. Also, this is ugly.

2. The stopper/backer board for the gate is affixed to the mobile gate side, not the locking/stationary side. Therefore, it stops nothing.

3. Old and rusted hardware reused on new gate. No padlock means gate can't be locked.

4. Hardware/cross boards extend beyond edge of stationary gate. Mobile gate cannot close from inside yard.

5. Mix of new and old nails and screws; only screws should be used to hold pickets on rails. The nails will slip out over time because the pickets are so thin.

6. Tight fit between stationary and mobile gate means that any natural expansion or sagging of the gate will prevent it from closing properly.

7. The gate hinges indicate gate opens inward (correct). However, given the position of #2 and #4 this gate was built backwards and in fact, never actually worked.
Your suggestions in the combox, please.

5 comments:

Patrick said...

wow. Just. . . wow. That isn't a "substandard job," that is an outright disaster.

Covnitkepr1 said...

If it were mine, I'd say..."good enough for who it's for."
Hi. I came across your blog through another blog I follow and have signed up as a follower. When you’re free, please do visit me and let me know what you think of my blog and leave a comment. If you like, do follow as well. I am always open to great new people and interesting websites. Look forward to hearing from you.

Joe @ Defend Us In Battle said...

Now I just want to go build a bunch of GATES... since I now have the "know how" :)

Nod said...

@covnitkepr1 - perhaps it would have been "good enough" if it functioned, but it was built "closed" and couldn't be opened inward. You could hyper-extend the one gate outward just enough to let a child escape - which they did.

Unknown said...

An additional #8 flaw:
The cross board on the right gate has to go from the bottom hang up on diagonal to the latch. Only this way your gate will not sag.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails