Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Killer App

Everyone's always trying to figure out what the next killer app is going to be: the iPhone, the iPad, Facebook, YouTube, whatever. I've come to realize those things aren't it.

I am.

I probably couldn't go back and show you much from my childhood or young adult days, because those things aren't there any more. Every once in a while I take a particular shine to something that I am willing to go out of my way to enjoy. This is almost certainly the kiss of death; it is soon to be outmoded, outdated, out of print, acquired, canceled, or recycled.

I've been present for the death of six professional companies, four restaurants, three food lines, two bands, and a partridge in a pear tree. Ok, maybe not the partridge. Got a favorite book series? Sorry that's now out of print. Like that podcast? They're off the Net. Cool TV series? Canceled. Getting into that band with the great sound? They've broken up.

Some people say that Milton was a genre killer; any style he wrote in dried up after he published his work. Maybe that's my superpower: I can kill popularity at a distance.

On the other hand, if something new comes out (mouse scroll wheels, social networking apps, Harry Potter, Dan Brown novels, wireless networking, Survivor) and I hate it -- it's gonna be big .

Bank on it.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

I bet you think that you cause the teams you root for to lose, too.

Wait, you're a Redskins fan? So it's YOUR fault!

Anonymous said...

You should read Tipping Point, they talk about your personality type.

Or A Perfect Day for Bananafish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Perfect_Day_For_Bananafish

Nod said...

Tipping Point I understand.

But Bananafish? The J.D. Salinger story? Yes, he died recently, but otherwise not relevant.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails