Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Cool Pool

Just about every kid out there loves the pool. Today, our pool opened and the day was hot. Perfect combination. After getting a bunch of chores and errands done, Mrs. Nod headed off to the pool with Wynken, Blynken, and Nod-girl while I stayed home with the toddlers and their naps.

So why didn't I go? Other than logistical difficulties with two toddlers who are hell-bent for leather to drown themselves, and other than the fact that they love it more than I do*, I was perfectly content not to go, because I know something that the Nodlings don't: the water is freakin' cold still.

There haven't been enough hot days yet for that giant mass of cold water to warm up appreciably. Wait a month, then it'll be great. Plus, being the very first day, the chlorine levels have to be intolerably high -- I'll wait to see their puffy little red eyes in church tomorrow.

* The phrase "love it more than I do" reminds me of one of my favorite childhood books called More Spaghetti, I say! by Rita Golden Gelman in which Minnie can't stop eating spaghetti.
"I love it. I love it. I love it. I do."
More than me?

"More than you."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails