Thursday, May 21, 2009

Throwing Money Around

Do you know what you get when you play country music backwards? You get your house back, you get your truck back, you get your dog back ...

That's how the old joke goes, anyway.

Do you know what you get when you throw your Metro pass around? Stranded.

It's not been a stellar week, but it hasn't been dull. Both cell phone and Metro pass have gone missing. The pass fell out of my shirt pocket (dumb place to keep it) sometime between getting to work and trying to go home. I had already walked the two blocks to the station, down the escalator, up to the turnstile, reached into my pocket ... and it was empty.

Retracing my steps at that hour ensured that I would miss the connector bus home, but since I had just put $100 on the card, I figured it was worth it. I asked the guard at the desk if anyone had turned in a lost fare card, and miraculously they did! Returning to the station, I swiped the card: it read $25.

It wasn't mine.

By the time I returned the card the next day, I discovered it had been deactivated. I didn't know they could do that. I called the house to let them know I'd been delayed, and caught the last bus home. Next morning I noticed that my cell phone was now missing as well. Aargh. And yes, I called it: it's off.

There has been a little ray of sunshine, however. Since I still had my receipt from charging up my fare card, the nice people at Metro were able to cancel the lost card and transfer the balance to a new card.

If I could just find my cell phone, all would be well.

Now, where did I put that country music?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails