Thursday, April 23, 2009

Evangel-bus

It's not like I wear a sign that says: Target Me.

Or maybe I do. I ride the bus to the Metro in order to get to work. Mornings just aren't my thing, as anyone can tell you, so I prefer to keep it quiet. I sit by myself, I don't make eye contact, and I pray my Divine Office silently. A guy five stops up the line reads his Koran. Nobody makes a fuss about it.

So why does this lady reach across the aisle to interrupt my prayers to offer me an information packet about Jesus and the Things That Must Happen before the End? I wave my prayer book at her and say, "I'm good; I already got it." But she's insistent and it's early, and I don't want to engage. I could, since I'm fairly well versed in such things, but I just don't want to. I smile politely and take her packet.

A quick glance shows it's a Seventh Day Adventist tract. Right-o: reduce, reuse, recycle.

Even when trying to mind my own business it confirms the words of St. Francis of Assisi to, “preach the Gospel at all times, when necessary use words.”

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails