Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Voting Jam

I just voted in a special primary for the 37th district for state senator with 400 of my closest friends.

Seriously, the line was out the door and around the block for 4 hours, no exaggeration. I met my Attorney General, shook hands with two of the candidates (one goes to my church, the other to my neighbor's church), members of my neighbor's congregation, two guys from my men's group, and a guy who thought he knew me but turns out I know the guy he thought I was -- all by standing in line to vote.

I have never missed an opportunity to vote in any election or primary since I came of age. It's a civic and moral obligation which I take seriously. And the more local the election, the more direct impact it has on your life.

I took Mrs. Nod and the kids with me the first time; she voted, I waited in the car with the kids. An hour and a half later she returned. It was past bedtime, so I took them all home and then returned solo to wait another 45 minutes in line for my chance to vote. I got back just 15 minutes prior to the 10 PM deadline. Since I was in line, I got to vote -- finally.

I can honestly say I have never had to wait that long to vote (2 hours 15 minutes) -- ever, for any office. Me and my new best friends from line have a date to go fishing come spring, however.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails