Monday, November 1, 2010

VOTE: Prayer Before An Election

Tuesday America goes to the polls; tonight I spent a couple of hours with members of my men's group and my parish at Eucharistic adoration before the election.

The time actually flew by - it has been too long since I've been in adoration. It's so good to see Him! I wasn't praying for a particular outcome, but for the holy will of God to be done. That's where I'm lacking right now. I don't need to want things, although there is much that I do want in life. What I need is to want the things He wants for me. Then I will be both happy and holy, and my family as well.

I asked, "How can my love grow?" He said, "It comes through suffering." Sigh. I was afraid He'd say that. Be patient with me, Lord.

The USCCB encourages us to say this prayer for this election cycle:
Lord God,
as the election approaches,
we seek to better understand the issues and concerns that confront our city, state, and country,
and how the Gospel compels us to respond as faithful citizens in our community.

We ask for eyes that are free from blindness
so that we might see each other as brothers and sisters,
one and equal in dignity,
especially those who are victims of abuse and violence, deceit and poverty.

We ask for ears that will hear the cries of children unborn and those abandoned,
men and women oppressed because of race or creed, religion or gender.
We ask for minds and hearts that are open to hearing the voice of leaders who will bring us closer to your Kingdom.

We pray for discernment
so that we may choose leaders who hear your Word,
live your love,
and keep in the ways of your truth
as they follow in the steps of Jesus and his Apostles
and guide us to your Kingdom of justice and peace.

We ask this in the name of your Son Jesus Christ and through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Amen.

2 comments:

Larry Denninger said...

That's a great prayer, Nod.

I think you meant to say "Tuesday" rather than Thursday, though...

Nod said...

Ha! Ha! Too right! I fixed it now. Hey, it was late ...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails