Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Real Thing

I am sporadic when it comes to watching television or movies. I can go a long time without watching anything and then I go on little binges and samplers.

Mrs. Nod happened to be watching a TV series called Legend of the Seeker which is your usual fantasy knock-off story. I watched for a little while, then got an overwhelming urge to see Lord of the Rings again in the middle of the show.  Tolkien's world is a deep, complex, fully realized, and ultimately Catholic thing. When you read the novels or watch the movies you come away with a deeply satisfying feeling like after a sumptuous meal.  You know that there is something there.  This other fantasy tripe - not so much.

Similarly, going to adoration or receiving Jesus in the Eucharist produces the same sensation. You know it's Real. I pass a half dozen generic Christian churches on my way to Mass. I often wonder what it would be like to go their services. This one would have great music, that one would have an inspiring preacher, and yet another might have great fellowship. It might be novel for a bit, but it would ultimately pale because they wouldn't have the Real Presence. I liken it to the feeling of walking into the Church on Good Friday and seeing the tabernacle open and empty - there is an almost physical ache of loss.

I wonder what it would be like if all those other churches I pass on Sundays were Catholic. (I'd be walking to Mass for one thing.) Then I shrug and move on.

Ain't nothing like the Real Thing.

1 comment:

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I've often felt the same way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails