Sunday, June 27, 2010

Dona Nobis Pacem: Give Us A Break

I must really love my sister.

Not only are we going out of town for her "destination" wedding (she lives locally), incurring the expense of transporting 7 people, blah, blah, blah, but also now I'm singing at the wedding?! I haven't sung in front of people for more than ten years now, except in church.

Fortunately, I'm not alone. My father and one of my brothers are also roped into this shin-dig. All I have to do is sing this simple little round of Dona Nobis Pacem. It's - what - two minutes of my life? How can something so simple take up such a large part of my time and energy? It's nervous energy to be sure.


We're practicing, going to a vocal coach for a few crash course lessons, and working on "blending". Right now, I'll settle for hitting all the notes right. We're doing it a capella, so it's just us and a sheet of music. We're making progress - we went from awful to halfway decent. There's still a week or so to improve a bit more.

I warned her that it might not sound all that good. She says she just wants us to sing as a gift of thoughtfulness rather than ability. OK, Sis, hope you really, really appreciate this, 'cause that's what you're getting. I must be awesome in the thoughtfulness department.

Sigh. Family.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

You sir, have very little to be nervous about. I know for a fact that you, your father, and your brothers have dandy singing voices. You'll be brilliant.

Rebecca Frech said...

Thank you for your kind words and prayers.

kkollwitz said...

I'm tired just reading about it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails