Sunday, October 25, 2009

Tied Up In Knots

Wynken and I went on a Boy Scout camporee where the older boys were teaching the younger boys how to tie knots. I've always been fascinated by knot tying, but am completely unable to tie anything other than my shoes.

Wynken actually has trouble tying his shoes securely, so I was amazed to see him picking up these knots so quickly and easily. I think his fine motor coordination has finally caught up to where it needs to be. Intrigued, I sat down with the boys and tried to learn the knots myself. If you do any serious camping you have to know how to tie knots.

I was actually able to figure out one or two, and then I came home and found this great site, I Will Knot, where they break down the knots with step-by-step videos. This totally takes out the mystery for me since I can't always "get" what is supposed to happen by illustration alone.

I actually spent three hours learning and tying knots -- it's a little addictive. Now I just need to know when to apply a particular knot and I'll have a "real" skill. The Nodlings found the knot tying cool, too. "Daddy, Daddy, teach me another one!" I had to laugh, "Give me two minutes to learn it myself!"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was fun to see you with all the older kids gathered around you. It was an "Oh, that's precious" moment -- okay really more like an hour.

I love watching you be a Daddy.

Scoutsigns said...

Knot tying is a completely worthy effort. It teaches patience, requires practice, and makes you feel accomplished.

Very Scout-y of you.

Nod said...

Thanks FamilyMan. Everybody felt good about it and it was fun, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails