Tuesday, November 18, 2008

That Blynken Math

Blynken's a smart girl, but she struggles with her math facts.

Even before she was in school, she had her own way of counting. New Math's got nothing on her.

If she wanted to know "how many days" until something and it was Tuesday, and the target day was Sunday, I'd tell her "5 days". She would invariably do her own style of counting and tell me it was either "6 days" or "4 days" depending on her mood.

She alternately counted in Tuesday AND Sunday, or alternately counted those days out. Occasionally, she'd count one of them in and one of them out. Nothing I could say could convince her otherwise.

Number lines are just maddening with her.

"Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

Five is right out."

I helped her with her math homework tonight and she soldiered through (I am SO passing second grade!), but now I'm tired.

Let's hear it for the 3 R's of education: repetition, repetition, repetition!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails