Monday, September 30, 2013

That Little Gold Ring You Wear On Your Hand

Mrs. Nod and I attended a lovely Nuptial Mass of a family friend this weekend.

The liturgy was joyful, the bride was beautiful, and the young lovers were radiant with their love for one another. I confess to feeling a touch of emotion as I watched them profess their vows.

One of the things that I had forgotten after 17 years of marriage was the rings. It seems silly to say since I look at mine daily and have never taken it off.

Ok, I didn't forget about the wedding rings per se, what I was reminded about them is that they are blessed objects.  As Catholics we know that the thing that makes you married in the sight of God is the consent -- the words, not the rings. The couple is the agent of the sacrament; the Church is the witness.
I, (Name), take you, (Name), to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.
The wedding can take place without the rings.  The priest at our wedding told us that if the best man lost the rings that he would just continue without them. The rings are the most visible outward sign of marriage. (I might argue that the six Nodlings tend to give that away.)

But we did have the rings and the priest did bless them.
Lord, bless these rings which we bless in your name.
Grant that those who wear them
may always have a deep faith in each other.
May they do your will
and always live together
in peace, good will, and love.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
The question arises: does this make the rings sacramentals? If sacramentals, does that give them special efficacy? Regardless if they are sacramentals or merely blessed objects we should regard them with the reverence and care they are due.

No one is kissing my ring like a holy relic, but all the same I am waving my sacramental around all day without realizing it.

That reminds me, after six Nodlings, Mrs. Nod can't fit her wedding ring on her finger comfortably and needs it enlarged slightly. Forget the diamond, I want that sacramental back on her hand!

----------------

Join RAnn for Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival,  for the Question of the Week :  Share a family sacramental memory.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails