Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Dump Is Fun?

My kids like the dump; I don't know why.

They compete with each other to see who gets to go with Dad whenever we have a big load to get rid of. Nod-girl won the toss this time. I use it as one-on-one time with the Nodlings, so it seems special to them. As anybody in a big family knows, one-on-one time is better than gold.

The dump is a fascinating place: there's lots of big machines; people going in all directions; and, er, interesting smells. Our dump is not the real dump, but a Waste Transfer Station, where they collect the trash in huge dumpsters and then truck it to the landfill.

They recently redesigned the place, making it wide open and easy to navigate. Instead of going to the covered "Big House" you now back up to railings that you pitch your stuff into the below giant dumpsters.

For really heavy stuff you have to get weighed on the way in and then again on the way out. With all this old deck wood in my truck I dumped an even ton (2000 lbs)!

I don't think they would have picked that up from my curb.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Not too long ago Simon and I took an old decrepit lawnmower to the dump. He was fascinated by it, as well.

Nod said...

The dump is a cool place, I guess.

RAnn said...

Back when I was a kid, in my grandparents home town, home garbage collection was an extra fee. My grandparents didn't produce a lot of garbage and my grandpa had time on his hands, so he took it to the dump. One of the exciting things we got to do when we visited was go to the dump with Grandpa.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails